Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Whew...I passed off my probing PE

Hurray! I passed and still cannot believe that I passed off my probing PE. I don't know how but I did it. But now I have the explorer, anterior scaling, and universal PE that stands in my way.

Today we learned how to use the universal scalers and I really had a hard time with it. I am really going to have to work hard to make sure that I really know how to use the scalers and practice it more on my typodont. I wish that I could get as excited about it as everyone else but it is really intimidating to me. The one thing that I really focused on while working on my very patient pod partner, Miss Jenny Story, was working in the mirror. It is still really hard for me to understand what direction I am supposed to go because it is opposite in the mirror. I am definitely not comfortable with using the mirror. I have been working on the mirror exercises to help but it still is very awkward to put sharp pointing things in Jenny's mouth and rely on my mirror for vision. Also, Kirsten told me that I need to work on turning the handle and not using my wrist to get the right angle. This is something that I am really going to focus on and make sure that I can get it down so that I am not jeopardizing my hand posture. My goals are to really focus on rolling the instrument in my hand, not being afraid to go into the subgingiva, and being able to feel comfortable with working with my mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment