Thursday, September 9, 2010

Easiest and yet most difficult day at WSU

My first patient was the best patient to have come in.  He didn't have much calculus and never had a cavity in his life.  I couldn't believe how well his gums and teeth looked seeing how he never flosses his teeth.  It was difficult to explain to him the importance of flossing when his gums and teeth looked good.  I tried explaining to him that he does want to floss though because he never knows when it might get bad for him.  Hopefully, he will start to floss at least once a week.   This patient was perfect for me. I was able to practice more of my explorer skills and get more comfortable with my explorer after the long break. 
My second patient was a little more difficult.  she decided not to show up on time and I had to call her after she was 30 minutest late.  She finally showed up at 1:20 and I was able to get everything done or so I thought.  After Professor Perry did a scale check he told me that I basically did a debridement but left everything that was subgingival.  I was going to have bring my patient back again. It was the hardes thing for me to hear.  I didn't want to have to bring a class II patient back because I would need that time for a class III of IV patient.  I couldn't believe that I didn't get subgingival.  My patient was also in a lot of pain.  She had so much infection in her mouth that anything that I did hurt her and I was going to have to do it all over again next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment