Thursday, September 16, 2010

Stuck walking around looking for patients

My first patient was the same fromt he week before and again she is late.  Really? I never went though all of this during my first year.  I was able to clean her teeth and get the subgingival calculus.  She also had a lot of healing for the week before which was fun to show her.  I was able to show her where the calculus was removed and the tissues had started to heal and where it wasn't healing because of the calculus was still there.  I think that was the best education tool that I have had.  She really didn't understand that she had an infection in her mouth and that she could control it by flossing and brushing her teeth more often.  Then in the middle of the cleaning, I found out that my next patient was cancelling on me.  Does she not understand that it would be nice to get the phone call the night before.  So I was stuck walking around campus trying to find patients, calling my old patients, and calling whoever I could to get a afternoon patient.  Luckily, I have wonderful neighbors who will do anything for me and I was able to clean the sweetest little 5 year olds teeth.  It sucks that I dedicated a whole appointment to a 5 year old but I was happy to have someone in my chair. 

No comments:

Post a Comment