Thursday, September 30, 2010

I hate no shows

I cannot believe how many people just don't show up for their appointments.  Seriously, it has to happen again.  I called and scheduled her two days before and to top it all off after I called her to tell her she was late she told me that she didn't have the money and would need help.  Those better be Class IV teeth or Beautifully Board qualifying teeth for me to pay to clean your teeth.  So, I found a patient and had him come in to find out that he had his knees replaced and I had to get a physicians consult. I have to admit that I was really grateful to Mr. Salamon.  He helped me with the consult and kept bugging the physician to get the consult signed. I had my patient come in at 9:30 and waited 1 hour to work on him because of premedication and then cleaned him in 20 minutes.  That was the fastest I had ever cleaned 4 quads.  I don't think that I could do it again if I wanted to. I was pretty lucky because Mr. Salamon and Professor Alexander both let me go over till 11:20.  I am grateful that I was able to finish him so that he didn't have to go home and wait to get his teeth cleaned after all of that.  I learned that if you put your mind to it you can get a patient in your chair and get things done if you put your mind to it and have some help.  
My afternoon patient was pretty easy. She was just a 1B but man was she a talker.  I could not get anything done.  It seemed like she wanted to talk for hours.  I was hoping to get her done earlier so I could feel more comfortable with booking 2 1B patients in the morning or afternoon.  Just knowing that I could do a few more patients would make me feel better about one day being a dental hygienist. Am I ever going to get fast enough to be able to get a patient done in hour?  Or will I always be this slow?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you and me both have had AWESOME luck with patients not showing! I'm pretty sure I'm still the Queen of No Shows for this year though. I have had 7 no shows this year (that includes my mockboard standing me up #$*#@)...anyway. Luv ya Meg :) And you will be able to clean 4 quads that quickly again - you just need more confidence! YOU CAN DO IT!

    ReplyDelete